1. Welcome to eNucleus - A Forum for Everything Outdoors

eN was devised as a communication and resource tool and Forum by a group who have an interest in :

Geocaching - Hunting & Fishing - Hiking & Camping - Bushcraft - Preparation & Survival

If you have a passion for all things outdoors then this may be the place for you

We welcome you to take a moment to register and start participating.

Click here to sign-up!

Review Coast HL5 LED Head Torch

Discussion in 'Knives, Multi-Tools and EDC (Every Day Carry)' started by aka fusion, Nov 10, 2013.

1. aka fusion

aka fusion Admin Staff Member eN Team

Review - Coast HL5 LED Head Torch

[​IMG]

I was looking for a new head lamp,initially to add to my BOB, so I went to a local electrical wholesaler to see what they had.

The Coast range of kit is a new line they were doing and I haven't come across them before, they had 2 types on sale ,both were LED , one was stating 144 lumen output the other 175 lumen.
    I decided to go for the latter mainly as I didn't want to think later shouldn't have I gone gone for the brighter one

[​IMG]

Anyhow I decided that I would put it to the test in work as I often have to carry out work in poor lit areas

The one thing I wasn't sure of was the fact that you only have one function namely on or off via the easily found button under the lamp.
    Now that okay for the fact of just needing to light an area, well it does actually flood the area with light, but if your not on your own then talking or working with others may be uncomfortable for them having 175 Lumens beamed into there face.

[​IMG]

The other factors is of course battery life.The unit is powered by 3 AAA batteries via a case which sits at the rear of your head, this is comfortable enough.

I haven't used the lamp long enough to evaluate the battery lifetime, it was stated on the packaging to be 3hour 45minutes but the fact you have only one setting won't help in extending the lifetime, which is a shame

[​IMG]

The overall fitting via adjustable straps works well,  the lamp has a hinge so you can angle the lamp up or down and holds well once in place.

For the price. the quality and range of beam I can honestly say I'm happy with the purchase, just need another one for the BOB now

Specifications

175 lumen output
    3 hour 45 min runtime
    56 meter (183 ft) beam distance
    Front switch
    Hinged attachment to position beam
    3 AAA batteries (included)
    Impact and water resistant
    Weight: 4.4 oz. / 125 g (including batteries)

http://www.coastportland.com/gb/led-headlamps/

2. Ryan Banman

Ryan Banman Member eN Team

Very nice review Fushion. Very thorough and detailed. I think your point about having only one function is good. The flashlights I have at home have a high, low and a strobe function. I hate th strobe function (every time I turn them on it seems to turn on at the strobe function, but. A high and low are nice. It can definitely save battery life.